Communication is everywhere. We may first think of formal media - like the one you're reading now - but everything has the ability to send messages that help us make meaning from our world.


Here you'll read about the myriad ways people transmit, receive and interact with information in all aspects of our lives. So drop in, and hang out for a spell. Better still, join the conversation: submit your comment using the "Comments" link at the end of each post.


Want to communicate with Michelle or SimplyRead?


__________________________________________________________________________________

Branded feet


Okay, all you academics and overthinkers out there (and we know who we are)...this post contains endnotes for all of us who need to get our overanalytical ya yas out. =;->

You'll see them *surrounded by asterisks*

The Brandish Invasion, via bas-relief sock traction



I've just completed a week of holiday, spent with my 3-year-old. So naturally, my thoughts (i.e., rants) turn once more to the Brandish Invasion as it relates to kids' supplies.*See endnote 1*

Does anyone who has kids get annoyed, as I clearly do, about the way it's almost impossible to avoid having your children "branded" by their clothing? I've lately come to see that I unwittingly advertise for the companies - to whom I already give my money - that make the garments my child wears.

Take her socks. We have slippery floors where our daughter hangs out most often. So even though she's three, we still have her in those socks that come with rubberized slip guards. Designed to get the kid some traction, they slow down the more contortionistic positions your child might otherwise end up in, should she slip while running.

The slip guards are often shaped like cute shapes, such as stars, pawprints or butterflies. However, I've found very few pairs that had only these shapes; the rest also, or only, displayed the name of the socks' sellers as well. *Endnote 2*

The Brandish Bas-Relief of the subtitle, those brand names are almost reverse brands. The one we most readily think of is that which a cow would receive. That is burned into the animal's skin. But with K's socks, the name sticks out rather than being burned in.

Let's just say I'm looking forward to not needing the embossed socks anymore. And I won't even start on the Disney/Pixar/Nick Jr. monopoly on the design of my favourite brand of diapers. I've got her wearing the blue, boy's cut ones at present, because she likes the cars, and I detest the princesses on the pink ones. I'm starting to think switching to generic is not such a bad idea, cardboardy texture and all...*Endnote 3*

But once again, thankfully, K will outgrow those soon, too.

Will blog more soon - pooped from keeping up with that li'l fireball all week! (Best job in the world, tho')Thanks for checking in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And now for those *Annoying Endnotes*...

*Endnote 1*
I'd started to write "kids' gear", but changed to the more generic "kids' supplies" when I thought of how pretentious that other word sounded. Funny how even what we call something has its own connotations, containing judgments about the speaker behind the word.

*Endnote 2*
Again on word choice, I'd started to write "the socks' makers", but then remembered that The Gap is not likely the name of the company that actually made my daughter's socks.

*Endnote 3*
I have tried the generics, but have just found the known brands to be better and more comfy for K. I'm just so pleased we can now recycle diapers in Richmond Hill now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I guess I'm the only one who gets drawn in by the words "contest" and "Chapters"??

I do have to say that I completely sympathize with the idea that clothing is excessively branded. I recently purchased a pair of skate shoes (ie the most comfortable shoes you will ever wear as a teenager) which have the brand name emblazoned on them 10 times (that's five logos per shoe), which is rather annoying in an excessive kind of way. As if anyone is really going to pay attention to the fact that the bottom of your shoe says "Vans."

Katelyn Viner :)